Yam porridge or Pottage as it is popularly called is one of Nigeria’s wonderful dishes that is majorly cooked with Yam and other ingredients. This Yam delicacy is popular among all tribes in Nigeria and also has other familiar names like Asaro or Oruru Ji. This can serve as a perfect meal for lunch or dinner and also be a party favorite. On a personal note, I think this is one of the easiest porridges to make with so many healthy accompaniments like vegetables which enhances its nutritional value. Getting right into how to make Porridge yam, below are the ingredients needed;
Ingredients Used In Making Yam Porridge
5 Thick Slices of Yam
3 Cups Water
3 tbsp. Crayfish
3 tbsp. Palm Oil
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Seasoning
1 tsp. Thyme
1 tsp. Curry
2 Handfuls Ugu, Scent leaves, or Green vegetable (Soko), these leaves are very optional
2 Serving Spoons of Pepper Mix (Habanero, Bell Pepper, and Red Chilli)
1 large dry fish
1 medium-sized, grated, or blended onion.
How to make Porridge Yam
1. Peel and wash your yam thoroughly then dice it into medium-sized cubes
2. Boil 2 cups of water, add a pinch of salt then slowly add your yams.
3. Pour 3 tablespoons of palm oil into a different pan, pure in your blended, grated, or slice some onions into the heating oil and let sautè for 2 minutes.
4. Add your crayfish and dry fish into the palm oil mix then add seasoning and blended pepper.
5. Pour the sauce into the boiling pot with yams, stir properly, and check for seasoning (salt, seasoning, pepper). Allow boiling for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Check the yams to know when it is soft, you can mash two pieces or more to be sure ( plus, this gives the porridge a thicker appearance).
7. Add your choice of vegetables (Ugu or scent leaves) and allow to simmer for 2-5 minutes.
8. Your porridge is ready to be enjoyed, serve as you like.
Health Benefits of Yam Porridge
Yams are generally known for their pack of nutrients which include vitamins, carbohydrates, and fiber hence eating this delicacy provides the body with the following;
1. Improves blood sugar levels.
2. Has cancer-fighting properties
3. It is easy to add to the diet
4. It enhances brain function.
5. It eases symptoms of menopause.
6. It reduces inflammation of any kind.
7. It is high in potassium and manganese which are important for strong bones.
8. It is a good source of energy and glucose.
9. Due to the presence of fiber, it aids digestion and prevents constipation.
10. For pregnant women, yams are essential as it contains many nutritional elements that help the baby grow and develop well.
Yam porridge is a delicacy for everyone, both young and old. In the cases of diabetic patients, yam porridge is prepared in a way suitable for them or it becomes a meal that they won’t have to eat. As earlier said, how to make yam porridge is one of the easiest foods to make in Nigeria which still garners lots of nutrients. However, yams are high in carbohydrates, low in protein, and lack vitamin D and B12 hence, it is advised to eat them reasonably.