Grilled corn on the cob is a quintessential summer treat that delights the taste buds with its smoky, sweet flavors. Add a touch of zesty lemon dill butter, and you’ve got yourself a winning combination that elevates this classic dish to new heights. Whether hosting a backyard barbecue or simply craving a delicious side dish, this recipe will satisfy your taste buds and leave you wanting more. Let’s dive into the simple yet delightful experience of grilling corn on the cob with tangy lemon dill butter.
Ingredients Grilled Corn On The Cob With Lemon Dill Butter
- 4 ears of fresh corn
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step By Step Guide To Making Grilled Corn And Lemon Dill Butter
Step 1: Preparing the Lemon Dill Butter
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, finely chopped fresh dill, lemon zest, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Season the butter mixture with salt and pepper according to your taste preference.
- Set aside the lemon dill butter at room temperature to allow the flavors to meld together.
Step 2: Grilling the Corn
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Peel back the husks of each ear of corn, leaving them attached at the base.
- Remove the silk strands from the corn and discard.
- Gently pull the husks back over the corn to form a natural cover.
- Place the corn on the grill and cook for approximately 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally.
- The corn should develop a beautiful charred appearance and a tender texture.
Step 3: Applying the Lemon Dill Butter
- Carefully remove the grilled corn from the heat using oven mitts or tongs.
- Peel back the husks, exposing the cooked corn kernels.
- Generously brush each ear of corn with the prepared lemon dill butter, ensuring the butter coats the entire surface.
- For extra flavor, sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the buttered corn.
4. Serving and Enjoying
- Transfer the grilled corn on the cob to a serving platter or individual plates.
- Garnish with additional chopped fresh dill for an appealing touch. This is optional
- The corn tastes more delicious when it is served warm, allowing the lemon dill butter to melt and infuse its delightful flavors into each bite.
- Enjoy the irresistible combination of smoky, sweet corn complemented by the tangy and herbaceous notes of the lemon dill butter.
Nutrition And Health Benefits Of Grilled Corn
Grilled corn not only tastes delicious but also offers several nutritional benefits. Here are some of the key nutrition and health benefits of grilled corn:
- Fiber: Corn is a good source of dietary fiber, which promotes digestive health, helps regulate blood sugar levels, and supports healthy weight management.
- Antioxidants: Corn contains various antioxidants, including carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin, which are beneficial for eye health and may reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Grilled corn is rich in essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, and potassium. These nutrients contribute to immune function, brain health, energy production, and heart health.
- Energy: Corn is a carbohydrate-rich food, that provides energy for the body. It can be a valuable source of fuel for active individuals and athletes.
- Plant Compounds: Corn contains phenolic compounds like ferulic acid and anthocyanins, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These compounds may help protect against chronic diseases and promote overall health.
- Gluten-Free Option: Grilled corn is naturally gluten-free, making it a suitable choice for individuals with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.
- Hydration: Corn has a high water content, which helps maintain hydration levels and supports overall hydration needs.
When grilling corn, it’s important to avoid excessive charring or adding excessive amounts of high-calorie toppings like butter and salt. Moderation is key to enjoying the health benefits while maintaining a balanced diet.
Overall, grilled corn is a nutritious and delicious addition to your diet, providing essential nutrients and contributing to overall well-being.
FAQs About Grilled Corn
Is grilled corn healthy?
Grilled corn can be a healthy food choice. It is a good source of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. However, the healthiness of grilled corn depends on how it is prepared. Avoid excessive amounts of butter or high-calorie toppings to keep it nutritious.
How long do you grill corn on the cob?
Grill corn on the cob for about 10-12 minutes over medium heat, turning occasionally. The cooking time may vary depending on the grill and the desired level of char and tenderness.
Should I soak corn before grilling?
Soaking corn in water before grilling can help prevent the husks from burning. It also adds moisture to the corn, resulting in tender and juicy kernels. Soaking for 15-30 minutes is recommended.
Should I remove the husks when grilling corn?
There are two common methods: grilling with husks and grilling without husks. Grilling with husks helps retain moisture and imparts a slightly steamed flavor. Grilling without husks allows direct contact with the grill for a smokier taste and charred appearance. Choose the method that suits your preference.
How do I season grilled corn?
Before grilling, you can season the corn with a light coating of olive oil, salt, and pepper. After grilling, you can brush it with flavored butter or sprinkle it with herbs, spices, or cheese for added taste.
Can I grill frozen corn on the cob?
It is generally recommended to thaw frozen corn on the cob before grilling. Grilling frozen corn may result in uneven cooking and a less desirable texture.
Can I use a gas grill or a charcoal grill for grilling corn?
Both gas grills and charcoal grills work well for grilling corn. Gas grills offer convenience and precise temperature control, while charcoal grills provide a smoky flavor. Choose the grill type based on your preference and equipment availability.
Remember to adjust cooking times and methods based on your specific grill and preferences. Enjoy the smoky and delicious flavors of grilled corn on the cob!
Grilled corn on the cob with lemon dill butter is a delightful summer dish that showcases the natural sweetness of corn, enhanced by the smoky grill flavors and the bright, herbaceous notes of the butter. The simple combination of fresh ingredients creates a mouthwatering experience that will have your taste buds dancing with joy. Whether it’s a backyard cookout, a picnic, or a casual dinner at home, this recipe is sure to be a hit and leave you longing for more of this seasonal delight. So fire up the grill, embrace summer flavors, and indulge in the irresistible pleasure of grilled corn on the cob with lemon dill butter.